Monday, January 14, 2008

Busy, Busy Arnold Clan...I need a cup of Joe!

I really wanted to start today's post "I want to go to bed!" but then who doesn't... I am starting to think I have Seattle Winter Blahs. Or maybe these kids of mine keep me running too much...who knows. All I know is one "Quad Venti Sugar Free Vanilla Breve" just doesn't cut it anymore... I might need a caffeine addiction intervention...Naaa... I am fine just give me so more Joe!


I have been getting to work around 6am and on most days still in the office around 4:30pm... It's hard to leave with so much work to do, but if I leave much past 4:30 I hardly get "fun" time with the kids before our bedtime routine starts. On a few occasions, I have dozed during dinner...sweet Deryck has gently shook my arm asking if I am OK. We finish dinner quickly, leaving meal and dishes on the table, skipped most of the bedtime stuff and all piled into my bed together. The kids have been so understanding of my sleepiness that they both snuggle with me until we are all fast asleep (before 8:00pm). Jim is such a love...he puts everything away when he gets home at 9:30 (well, whatever is salvageable in his opinion) cleans the kitchen up, cares for the animals if I forgot and then gently moves both kids into their own beds before snuggling with me for the night. He is so loving; he has forgiven me for sleep really late on Saturday mornings while tending the kids and cleaning the house (which I neglect most of the week). He never complains and but gently reminds me that I need to find that work / family balance. Jim has been so supportive and loving all these years...his bountiful love amazes me.


Since my last posting I had ten (yes 10!) 9 and 10 year old Cub Scouts here at the house for the first cub scout meeting of the year. The boys finished the tool boxes they were making and began to sculpt their Pine Box Derby Cars. Deryck is hopeful that his design will win seeing he was so successful a the pumpkin races. He loves to think about cars...just like another man in this house. After the car was prepared and ready for paint we headed out to pick up some. We took Deryck to Home Depot to buy spray paint... After selecting the paint and a few other needed project things we checked out; in order to buy three cans of spray paint we were "carded", yes full ID "carded" I was shocked...Who would have thought that would happen! We still don't know why but then we live in T-Town anything is possible. The boys have designed a "hot" paint job of red, orange and yellow flames. Jim and Deryck will continue to work together on the Pine Box car and next week all the boys will be back at my house...still not sure what new adventure that Mr. Jeff has in store for the boys.


I have started placing calls to move Deryck to a different school... this is hard for me as I hate to admit that parts of South Tacoma are "hard". Deryck has been the victim of bullying at his school. I have had a few meetings with his teacher and recently the principal. I have been told that the kids in the third grade are "tough" this year and that the bullying is a population issue. All of this is rather difficult to choke down because I think a good teacher classroom management class might in need; as Deryck has been punched daily in the back while she (the teacher) is in the classroom. The student (yes...one boy) was suspended for 2 days; but when he returned the bullying also returned with him. I love our "neighborhood" but unfortunately the community as a whole doesn't reflect the same values we are raising the kids with. I will let you all know what we decide to do and were the kids will move to.


Jim has been a busy at work. There are still shortages in staffing...the guys from India have come here for additional training. Jim is heading up the "new" International Flight side of things, facilitating some training and at some point this year they still have to move out of their building. The rumors are still flying about relocating to Phoenix but for now we aren't worried about a move.


We are enjoying the blessings that God has given to us knowing that "HIS" plan is always the path we try to stay on...no matter where it might take us.

No comments: