Well, I have admitted before I was a bad blogger... and I will not make any promises to being any better during 2009. I will make a better effort. I did figure out that one of the root causes that I blog so infrequently is because I don't think we do many exciting things or change very often. However, what I realized is that blogging can help me see those little changes and share them with everyone.
So, what happened in 2008...
- Deryck turned 10 and entered 4th Grade; he is sooo smart and he really knows it.
- Ashley turned 5 and is blossoming into a beautiful, intelligent and sassy girl.
- Jim is happily working for Honeywell as the Team Lead; he spent two weeks in Phoenix training the Phoenix crew and looks forward to new challenges and maybe a promotion in 2009.
- Michelle is happily working for DaVita as a Quality Assurance Specialist; she was accepted into a year long Leadership Training Program that will start in January.
- Shadow and Tephra are still enjoying long naps and basking between play sessions with the kids.
- 2008 brought one home improvement project... Michelle ripped out the wood paneling in the living room. We found a lovely green paint and patch from an old window. We hired out the sheet rock work as Jim and I really didn't have the time or skills to re-sheet the wall. But as soon as the wall was smoothed we got to work painting and glazing the living room. Our goal was to have the room finished before July; we finished the week before Jennifer (Michelle's sister) came to visit.
- Jennifer (Michelle's Sister) came to visit and we had a ball. We lounged around goofing off, going to the zoo, spending the day shopping in Seattle, a day Wine and Beer tasting at the St. Michelle Winery and Red Hook Brewery, a Movie and Spa Day (even Jim got a pedicure), A Mariners Game (ya they lost), Mt St. Helens, Seattle Underground History Tour, and eating at The Bite of Seattle. We talked, laughed, cried, hugged and just enjoyed each others company. Tried as I might to convince her to move to Seattle she went home to Mikey and the Dogs... Well, there is always the next time.
- We went on our annual August Camping trip to Yakima. Joshua was Deryck's guest the boys had a great time. The temperature was "cool" in the high 80's low 90's. Michelle started and finished a book, the boys tried fishing but had more fun chasing geese. Ashley tormented the boys and I realized that next year she might need a friend too.
- Michelle flew down to visit Jim in Phoenix for a weekend... we had a great time! We researched a Tapas Bar called "Lola Tapas" Michelle wanted to try something new and she heard a food review for Tapas... We thought we could try it and if we loved it we could bring it home with us to try in Seattle... Lolas was unbelievable... if you are ever in Phoenix go to Lolas. We also took a leisurely drive thru Sodona and saw the Sodona Hills and Red Rock Canon area, Montezuma's Castle and finished our drive at the Grand Canon. Words cannot describe the beauty of God's creation and the natural gifts He has give to us to enjoy. We spent a few hours driving around looking at houses... no worries; we are not moving we just wanted to get a Phoenix perspective. We spent lots of time just talking and spending quality time together... some thing that we just don't have time to do during the normal hustle of life.
- We had Snow in Seattle and not the dusting we normally get. Real Snow... more than 8 inches and the snow stayed on the ground thru Christmas which was has not happened in Seattle for many, many years. The kids had a few snow days and even Michelle's office closed because the conditions got so bad. We all enjoyed the snow... but honestly we are all glad to see it gone. Seattle and snow should not mix... the snow can stay in the mountains!
2008 was a year we will all remember... For many things that are beyond our control.
For 2009 The Arnold Family looks forward to new opportunities, improved health and a renewed focus on quality family time. We hope that the close of 2008 finds you safe, healthy and filled with a renewed spirit for 2009.